11.04.2008

Bienvenidos De Playa De Caca!


Hey All,

I give up trying to make these Mexican computers do my bidding. You'll see what I mean.

Good sleep, good kiting, and good times have made things a lot less scattered but technologocal monkeybusiness will make this post semi-nonsensical. Here goes, anway... in no particular order thanks to technologia fea.

We've gotten to kite the last few days and today looks to be similarly windy. Bahia de Tortugas is pretty good for SURVIVAL KITING if you don't mind swimming in water reminiscent of piss... I think there are just too many birds pooping in the water... at least that's what I'm telling myself.


There is a good reefbreak at the mouth of the Bahia if you have the cajones to go there... any technical problems or lack of wind and you're looking at a three mile swim and prickly eight mile hike (at best). Scaling cliffs slippery with eons of accumulated pelican poop is more likely.

We're getting our boatlaunching down, as you'll see in this exceptionally lame, disordered, lopsided, "sequence".




Away you go!


Pull and pray.



Sort the tangles.



Nice and easy...




All set? I hope so.


These Canadians apparently know even less about sailing than us. This gigantic Mexican fishing boat brutalized their hull and mast because they anchored way too close to everyone... us included. I had to get up and move us in the middle of the night to avoid them. I gues this kind of crap is pretty typical.



The Bahia San Quintin "Yacht Club". This was the only other sailboat in the bay... aside from one permanently beached. It is mastless, motorless, and heaped with bird poop. A far cry from San Diego Bay.


This is our friend Miguel. He is a pervert who did our laundry. We paid him with a blowup doll and tube of lube. He was beyond stoked. From what I gather, he'll be able to "fiesta" with BETTY VISCIOUS, punk slut, while is wife is at "la inglesia". I'd say he's shameless but he made me give him a black trashbag to avoid a walk of shame through the pueblo.
Actually, he's a great dude and a heck of a businessman.


I speared one of these before I knew you weren't supposed to... not because they're endangered... just because they're orange. There were thousands of them and he tasted pretty good so I'm not kicking myself over it.


Spearfishing is the funnest thing ever. So far this is my biggest catch. We made him into fish tacos.


After giving him three shots of expensive, delicious Sailor Jerry Rum, this Bonita still wasn't dead so we had to resort to more drastic measures. It looks brutal but I guarantee he felt no pain... plus, doesn't Mac look happy! Hooray for fishing!


With no moon lately and 13 hour nights, sunrises are a welcome occurance. Shortly after, the wind picked up to 10-12 and we had the best day of sailing yet.
Nothing beats sipping tea with honey while looking forward to a day of perfect cruising.


Mac doing his Spanish homework on the anchor here in Bahia De Tortugas. I sleep in the cockpit. Mexico has great sleeping weather.


Frying fish in the middle of the ocean on a little Coleman stove can be stressful.


But we've been eating pretty well. Honey-glazed, spicy-mexicitalian-style Bonita bites go well with pesto parmesean pasta. I cropped Mack's head out of this picture to protect him from the fashion faux pas he was committing.
Where does one find such a shirt? Abandoned in the laundry room in Two Harbors, Catalina Island. What a score!
We'll kite here today and set sail tonight. Our next stop is Bahia Santa Maria near the monsterous Bahia Magdalena. The forecast looks light throughout Baha but it looks like great surfing for the next five days.
From there, if all geos well, it'll be Cabo San Lucas... a mere 100 miles from where friends await in La Ventana.
It'll be great to see some familiar faces.