3.11.2009

Barra to Zihuatenejo

Somewhere on the spectrum between panic and boredom lies "fun". On a boat like mine you have to be pretty carefree (sic negligent) to have any fun at all.

The last stretch pretty much sucked.

Too swelly for autopilot so I was stuck on the tiller most of the time.

I snagged a seaturtle while fishing, setting it free without getting bit or hurting it worse was a challenge.

I almost got run down by a frieghter outside Lazaro Cardenas.

Now, once again, I'm surrounded predominantly by FAT AMERICANS and the FAT MEXICANS trying to make a buck off them.

Barra Navidad to Zihautanejo... 230 miles in 65 odd hours.

Z-what? Another tourist trap tanking out... like the others, it has local color.

I went to 4 different surf shops looking for wax. None had wax. Only one actually sold surfboards. Classic.

I'm across the street eating burritos de camaron, laughing at the ridiculous owner of the equally ridiculous Jungle Bar.

He rolled up on a custom DIRTBIKE. Currently sweeping out last night's cigarettes to Steel Pulse, whistling like a beautiful bird at any remotely decent piece off ass.

Supposedly some of the most beautiful women in Mexico live here. I'm too zombie-eyed from sleep deprivation to notice. Too broke to paint the town, even if I felt so inclined.

One meal. Dog food. His and hers Frontline (flea and tick medicine... for Maestra and I). 5 gallons of gas. 2 liters of orange fanta. Some cookies. Some fruit. And back out we go.

The Punta Gatos break would kite like a dream... if it gets enough wind... right now, barely kiteable... not strong enough for a fast, rocky break going with the wind.

On a nuker day you could take some amazing pictures there...

Punta Gatos, Bahia Zihuatenejo, Consequential Left.

So from here, it's 300 miles on to Puerto Escondido, one of the best surf beaches in the world. I'll be there for a night or two unless the surf is really great...

Acapulco is somewhere en route... I'm hoping to blink and miss it.

After Escondido its only a day or two more to SALINA CRUZ and TEHUANTEPEC.

I sure fucking hope to make it.

MAX