9.18.2008

Mental Preparation and frustration... fixing a boat with no budget and little clue.

Hey Folks,


I want to be here.

I want to be here.

I want to GO here.

Mac and I are stuck here... at the dock with a lot of loose ends to tie up.

Motor issues. Dinghy issues (it is sinking in the picture). Keel bolts to install. A boat to haul out and paint. A website to create. A broken cellphone. Dwindling resources. Relationships to build.

I've never been so busy in my life.

Today I took a 4 hour, 4-8pm powernap. It was lovely wasting all that daylight, but now I'm up late.

Getting this thing going is taking a toll on my sanity. I haven't drank this much coffee since Medical School. Hopefully El Viaje Sin Fin goes a little better than that did.

Number one on the daily "TO-DO" list is RELAX! FOCUS ON BREATHING!. Number 2? GO KITE. STRETCH! Number 3? Try to get the primary outboard engine running.

I hate motors but I need one for this trip. Ironically, this whole "oil free" thing is waiting on an $80 aluminum boat prop, some rubber gaskets for the dinghy, and the fact that the primary motor doesn't work at the moment.

Being stuck at the Marina on account of the motor issues, I see 40 fishing boats a day go trailering off behind loud shiny pickups. The motors I salivate over are the 10-20hp trolling motors, modestly hanging beside 100-200 hp outboards.

But I ain't too angry about that. The fishermen I've met are solid dudes. What gets me is wakeboard boats. Seriously?!

Why not buy $90,000 in kiteboarding equipment instead? This is the GORGE, not FLORIDA.

You could get 10 of my sailboats fully outfitted for what those raging aquatic hardons cost.

But I digress.

I could spend the rest of my money on another shitty boat motor but I think I'll save it to afford a social life on the trip. All things in moderation, right?

The kindness of friends is really keeping this thing together right now. Mac has been right there in getting the boat ready. Tom Wilsson from Big Winds dropped a hundred pearls of sailing wisdom last night. Dank Dave has offered his backyard, blangin' truck, garage, hi speed internet, surf flick collection, books, food, and "industry support".

Hopefully some of the other sponsors come through. New kiting stuff allows us to sell old kiting stuff. Everybody wins! Come on.

Tonight we hung out and I got to tell stories about Argentina. Amazingly, people weren't bored by my little slideshows. Reliving the good times helps put this trip back into perspective.

THINK AND WORK HARD FOR THE NEXT WEEK. FLOW AND PLAY HAPPILY EVER AFTER.

Todo tranq. Keep moving.

Your Friend,

Max