1.04.2010

Behave Yourself

I've got a quiver of strange stories, it's just a matter of pulling back the bow and taking aim...

But, on account of reentry, fear of failure, and my other flaws, I've got a bottleneck.  Regarding reentry...

Information Overload, which all y'all are alternately suffering/enjoying, truly exists.  There's just too much goin' on.

Here's a tripper.  I just got off the phone with a buddy named Ryno.  We're going out for sushi in 20 minutes.

I haven't talked to Ryno in 2-3 years.  Haven't seen him in 4.

But today, while doing almost exactly what I wanted to be doing, I encountered a powerful possession of his: a ski helmet he rocked daily during my first winter in Jackson Hole.

It's a typical, black, slightly-dated ski helmet only discernible from any other by a small sticker on the back.  That sticker is of a menacing, obviously-deranged clown.

Anyway, the helmet caught my eye in a very unlikely place, I explained it's significance, and it was given to me.

Then, upon arriving home, I find an email... the first in three years... from none other than the bearer of the helmet, Ryno.  He's in town for the next week... temporarily vacating his Residency, a first year graduate from Medical School.

We entered different schools simultaneously. He stuck with it.  I didn't.   Before that, we'd spent a year as roommates living in Jackson.

In fact, when I rolled into Jackson on a dreary May morning, for lack of a clue I stopped at McDonald's and picked up a paper.  In classifieds I found rooms for rent and started making calls from the Snow King Pavilion.  The first person I talked to in Jackson was Ryno.  The first person I met was Ryno.  And the first thing we did together was move me in.

That's a hell of a coincidence with a hell of an important person... and I'm late for dinner.