3.21.2009

The Tehuantepec Plan

I'm sailing East tomorrow until it's kiteable...somewhere between Punta Canejo and Punta Chipequa.

On Monday the gale is supposed to abate... so then I'll be sailing to Bahia Ventosa... from there, with luck, into the gigantic Lagoon.

I am hoping to anchor here where the pink arrow ends...

The lagoon is 35 miles E-W by 10 miles N-S. Big.

The little green circles are small villages... I may be hanging out in any of them.

I hope to explore the kiting in and around this lagoon for a month or more.

Odds are I'll do most of my kiting near the mouth.

There is no tourism there. Internet access is unlikely... but I'll be looking for it.

The dog is stoked...


... NOT to go.

She can sense that this is a bad idea and is a shit whenever we're headed back towards the boat.

She'd rather play until exhausted and then...

OUT.

I have to keep her sauced during long passages or she continually growls at me.

Me? I'm scared. Way too much can go wrong.

We could get blown out to sea, take on water, and sink.

We could run aground at the lagoon mouth and get pounded by swell.

We could get robbed (or worse) by opportunistic locals.

Shit, I could simply fall overboard. The dog wouldn't turn around. Nor the autopilot.

Worst of all, I could chicken out and gootch on through like the rest of theYACHTIES.

Unlikely.

But whether things go good or bad...

... it'll sure as shit be worth a story.

Max