3.05.2009

Closure du Mack

YO MACK,

I appreciate your contribution to our trip. You really picked up the slack whenever I got too sick to steer.

After the fallout from Muertos, I was going to ridicule you on this blog because I've been so mad at you.

Seething.

Dreaming negativity.

Plotting revenge.

But, finally, back under sail and on track, I can forgive you

So, you're forgiven.

I won't, however, leave your arrogant "FOR WHAT!?" unanswered. So here we go, start to finish. Take it like a REPORT CARD.

Overall, you get a D. Minus.

1.
Before we left you lied too much.
You pretended you had sailing experience.
You had none.
You promised your family we wouldn't travel at night or more than a few miles from shore.
You worried them so sick they called the fucking COAST GUARD.
You also failed to mention your SLEEP APNEA and HORRENDOUS CHRONIC SNORING.
Hello?! In weeks of preparation for a two month voyage aboard a 27 foot, one "room" BOBBER of a BOAT it never dawned on you to mention your NAUSEATING AFFLICTION.
Get the nasal surgery, dipshit. You need it.

2.
You failed to embrace your one agreed upon responsibility, which was keeping the motors running.
You did no maintenence.
No oil changes.
No cleaning.
No nothing.
You read nothing on outboard repair. I put the repair manuals in your hands.
You fixed nothing. Your attempts fell far short of actual effort.
You couldn't even be trusted to buy sparkplugs.

3.
You bitched out of splitting all en route costs 50/50 and still owe me $1100.
We agreed that a new autopilot and new motors were necessary and that we would split their cost.
We agreed that DOWNWIND KITING needed a professional website as we went into business together. $300, I spent. $1200, I owe.
I spent $10,000 before we left and another $3000 en route. Then I invested my last $300 (and $1200 I don't have) into DOWNWIND KITING
You spent $2000 total.
Three months of living on a sailboat and in a mansion for $2000.
Helluva good deal. Cheapest living available in 2009.
You saw me destitute in La Paz... $0 to my name... everything I own invested... and stingily hold your stack.
Shameful.
I had to sell kites to keep this thing afloat... because you cheated me.
The irony here is that we needed a new motor because your negligence killed the other two.
A new autopilot because you abused the first one.

4.
Your lies and negligence over the Holidays killed our fledgling business, DOWNWIND KITING, and our friendship.
Your weeklong trip home turned into an unannounced three. Unpaid, I covered for you as best I could.
You promised to drive back with the dinghy wheels, stuff from sponsors, and some old clothes. You brought me nothing.
You didn't question the falling out I had with Muertos or show any concern for me in my destitute state.
You only made contact so you could pull your last few possessions off the boat.

I thought I could trust you.

I thought you were my friend.

I got you to Baja safely, gave you the trip of your lifetime, and set you up with your DREAM JOB.

You lied to and cheated me.
Worst of all, you're oblivious.
Either too stupid or insensitive to care.

I hope your mom reads this.

I could certainly use the $1100, but I'm over it. Choke on it.

Ciao, PUTITO.

MAX

ps Just because I've forgiven you doesn't mean I won't kick your ass the next time I see you. You need a beatdown. It'll be for your own good.