8.18.2009

Smile til' yer happy.

Lyric of the Day
__________________________________________________
Willie Nelson, Remember the Good Times

Remember the good times
They're smaller in number
And easier to recall
Don't spend too much time
On the bad times
They're staggering in number
And will be heavy
As lead on your mind

Don't waste a moment unhappy
Invaluable moments gone
With the leakage of time
As we leave on
Our own separate journeys
Moving west with the sun
To a place buried deep
In our minds
_____________________________________________________

Standard shit these daze.

I had some charters booked yesterday and today but the folks just didn't show. This is the worst... wasted time and dwindling stacks of cash.

The ATM is not an option.

I shouldn't have wasted $35 on a MASSAGE the LPH gents insisted I get. It didn't do much for me, and at the end of it the beautiful Tica MASSEUSE had this to say:

"YOUR BACK IS FUCKED UP!"

I didn't feel like discussing the subtlties of growing up at a time when it was cool to slouch... or mile long pack on the front, pack on the back, canoe on your shoulders portages... or carrying way too much up way too many mountains... or sleeping on a moving boat for a year... so all I said was "yep".

So now I'm all paranoid about my back even though it doesn't really hurt.

Fortunately I have a retired British couple coming into town just for sailing lessons with Captain Max. I'm gonna wing it... spent about 5 minutes writing out my lesson plans today... there's a big swell coming in so my plan is to spook them into confidence around the outer reef breaks.

Well, as I remind myself daily, life could always be much much worse: a local Tico buddy got beat down by the cops. They caught him eating breakfast without an ID so they took him back to the station and beat the shit out of him... he's got blurry vision in one eye and a few dozen welts. They used bamboo broomsticks on him.

He went to a lawyer and there's basically nothing he can do. Out in the lineup today he threw out the idea of burning down their houses. I told him it'd be better to just let it go.

Aren't I the responsible one?! See, I know how he feels. I wanted to torch a certain $15,000,000 spread in Baja last winter. I sailed through it instead. He seemed to be surfing through it today.

The swell is building. I had my first successful EXIT from a barrelling wave today... WOW... that felt good.

The plan is to get the fuck out of Tamarindo within the week... nab a few days of epic waves at Witches and Ollies and go get legal in San Juan del Sur.

I'm rereading my Biology 101 textbook and loving it. It's a fount of facts that PERTAIN. Examples:

"Evolution has proceeded towards harnessing more diverse sources of energy to power life."

"Regulated growth is an essential characteristic of living systems."

"Large mammals are susceptible to domestication if they exhibit the following three traits. 1) Herd mentality. 2) Territorialism. 3) Male-dominated heirarchy."

La Oveja Negra Abierto a la Feminina Llamado Max