11.21.2009

10/4/05

10/4/05

Dear People of the Future:

One of my favorite things is bopping about and seeing a stranger so healthy, beautiful, and intriguing I feel butterflies and can’t take my eyes off them.  Whether I approach the person or not, stumble upon them again or lose them just as quickly as I found them, one thing is certain: I enjoy knowing they exist.

I am treated to this experience very infrequently because the majority of people in the United States at this point in time are, to put it bluntly, FAT and BORING.  Over half of Americans are clinically overweight and almost all of them are chronically overworked.  Most of them have their lips permanently planted on the asses of those with MONEY and POWER as well.

I’m not saying we should all strive to be supermodels but rather should weigh what humans are naturally intended to weigh; people of all different body types can be beautiful if they take care of themselves.  I’m not saying we should shy away from work either, but that it’s absurd to work so much that health, family, friendship, hobbies, community involvement, and the like fall off as the cycle of EARN and SPEND spins round and round.

Feeling satisfied with oneself and attracted to/intrigued by others are crucial components of happy, healthy humans.  When those components of social life are lacking people search for satisfaction in less natural ways… money, power, material possessions, mood-altering drugs, dysfunctional relationships, self-destructive habits, etc.

Hopefully you folks of the future are all taking care of yourselves and lookin’ good.  Doing so is more important than most people now think it is.

Yours in the shallow seriousness of our species,

Max Mogren

When did I get so much dumber?