12.30.2009

Follow My Reasoning...



I miss my boat, but the solitude of the mountains trumps the crowd in the lineup.

I am once again JOBbed.  You're reading the words of the new DOORMAN at the Silver Dollar Bar.

I'll be training in New Year's Eve.  After that you'll find me doing my best Swayze impersonation at WORT Bluegrass Tuesdays.


 


Quoth "Roadhouse":

"All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never underestimate your opponent. Expect the unexpected. Two, take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice."

Yep.  One night a week.  7pm to 1am.  That's a six hour, 70 dollar work week.

$10 a day?  In Jackson Hole? No problem.

My 2010 Resolutions?

1) Live as SPARTAN a life as possible.

2) For as long as I can stand it, I will not buy myself a drink.

Other people can buy me drinks.
I can buy other people drinks.
I'll certainly accept free drinks.

But I will not buy myself a drink.

This should make the occasional foray out of my mind more interesting.

***

But back to the point...

These days I find myself dancing on slippery pickles.

Go for Wealth or Go for Broke?
Settle Down or Don't Settle?
Live Wrong or Live Strong?

You probably know the intersection I'm at, even though most Western maps mislabel it...

"HAVE A KID or BE A KID"
or more bluntly
"GROW THE FUCK UP, FUCK UP."

Those sorts of maps are dangerously dated.  Follow my reasoning...

I don't know about you, but I like living on this planet.

Unfortunately, aside from a bonafied natural disaster, the convergence of catastrophes threatening to fuck everything up are entirely homemade.

Will we save ourselves with technology or kill ourselves with technology?

Are we approaching something like a Singularity or the Mother of all Clusterfucks?

I don't know the future, but I do know one thing.

This great little planet is currently overrun by an ever-growing Cult of Consumerism.

This Cult poisons our mental and physical environments and wastes everything, including the time left to get our shit together.

Our chances of saving ourselves from, uhhhh, ourselves decrease as more people get caught up in this wasteful Cult.

Most folks don't even know they're members of this Cult.  They're convinced that a happy human life couldn't exist without STUFF despite tens of thousands of years and billions of human lives showing the contrary.

If you just celebrated a typical American Christmas, you're a member.  If you own a car or house or any flashy shit, you're a member.  I admit it: to varying degrees, I've been a member my whole life.  Leaving a Cult is hard.

If you think the meaning of life at 2010 is to work a lot, spend a lot, replicate yourself, and build a little bubble of security around your bloodline you've missed the bus.

When people tell me to grow up I tell them I'm trying and I encourage them to do the same.

Raging against the nonsense is a damn good hobby.  Just try it.

Max