12.18.2009

I'm In Miami, B...


Miami from above...
A wall of skyscrapers abuts the ocean  for as far as I can see.
Human vanity hopes to hold back the rising tide.
Good luck with that.

***

CLEARING CUSTOMS

I knew I'd chosen the wrong line as soon as I saw Rodriguez, but it was too late.  Nothing to do but wait and act casual.

Rodriguez (looking at my customs form): You visited all these countries?
Me: Yep.
Rodriguez:  How long have you been out of the country?
Me: 15 months.
Rodriguez: 15 months?  How do you afford travel like that?
Me: I was on a boat.
Rodriguez: Whose boat?
Me: My boat.  A small sailboat.
Rodriguez: How do you afford a sailboat?
Me: I bought it for five grand in Oregon and sailed it to Columbia.
Rodriguez: What do you do for work?
Me: I've had a lot of jobs.  I funded my trip by making friends and taking them sailing.
Rodriguez: People paid you to sail them around?
Me: Yep, I think they call it "CHARTERING A BOAT".
Rodriguez: Please follow her into that room...
Me: Thanks.

25 minutes of blah blah blah later I'm welcomed into the homeland.

***

The Miami airport is 90% glass.
A very large aquarium full of exotic fish.
A sea of alien creatures.
Freaks, Geeks, Tweaks, and Chics
but mostly just bored frowners
Direct Observation:
Happy Faces: 22
Sad Faces: 365
...that's enough of that little experiment.
Most of the smilers are Eastern Europeans on vacation.
What do they know that I don't?
Probably lots.

***



Don't give up the ship.

Max